My Workout Must Haves
Y’all… I do not inherently love to workout. It is a conscious choice and effort on my part every day. And for the most part, I try to get my body moving in some form 6 days a week. So for those days, I have a few essentials that MUST accompany me… and a few others that I just like to have.
- The right shoes: Is there a bigger duh on the planet? You would think not, but let me tell you, I’ve been through some doozies of some injuries because I wanted to wear the “cute” shoes– shin splints, cramps, pulled muscles, plantar fasciitis. Honey, it ain’t worth it. Now, some of you may be the lucky ones that can wear all of the cute shoes. But some of us can’t. And you need to know to prevent injury. For example, I’m a heel striker when I run AND I overpronate. Which means I need a ton more support in my heel and less in my toes. So I wear stability shoes. My favorites right now (and I’ve had 3 pairs in succession) are the Nike Zoom Air Structures. And as far as stability shoes go, they’re pretty good looking. But do NOT take my recommendation on a shoe. Find what works for you and what feels good. I understand this might be a big investment, but believe me, you’ll save on doctor’s appointments down the road. If you make one investment in your workout gear, this should be it.
- WATER: You all know how I feel about water. I did write an entire blog post on it, after all (which you can find here). We NEEEEEED it and in large quantities every day. No questions asked. This is especially true while you’re working out. While you’re exerting so much effort, you’re also sweating. And that sweat is robbing your body of its hydration. So keep plenty of water on hand. I love large tumblers or Tervises for my gym trips. Especially if they have a straw. Right now, this one (similar to above) is on repeat from Starbucks.
- Activewear: Now, activewear can be a pretty personal thing. And I know loyalties run deep with some. So, if you’ve found something you absolutely can’t live without, it’s the best thing in the world, you do you, girl. For me, that’s Fabletics gear. I’m obsessed. The membership is totally worth it for the discounts and special sales you get (and you can skip a month and not get charged for anything). I find the compression to be perfect… enough that my pants ALWAYS stay up, but not so much that I feel like a stuffed sausage. Their medium support bras are perfect for most any exercise, as well. Whether it’s running or yoga, they fit the bill. Plus, their side pockets are perfect for holding my giant phone on long runs. I was completely skeptical at first, but it doesn’t move an inch. Much like the shoes, find something that feels good to you and serves your purpose well.
- FitBit Versa: My sister pre-ordered the Versa for my birthday, knowing how badly I wanted it. Again, the watch love/hate community is large and fierce. You’re either Team FitBit or Team Apple (and the fringe Team Garmin and such). And whichever you are is completely fine! For me, I wanted a watch that would track my activity. I didn’t need it to do everything my phone does… because that’s what my phone is for. So I opted for the Versa. It has a great, user friendly app where you can see an overview of all of your stats and plenty of built in features like notifications, multiple workout modes, and even video workouts right on your watch. For my wants and needs, it’s been perfect.
- Silicone rings: I hate wearing my wedding bands and engagement rings to the gym. For one, they get all nasty and dirty. Two, they inevitably end up turning into my palm and stabbing me halfway through my burpee set. And three, my greatest fear is losing a diamond! So, I wear silicone rings. I got this multi pack from Amazon for cheap. I love them because I can mix and match to coordinate with my outfits. Because a girl has to match, right?
- Wireless bluetooth headphones: Now some might consider this a luxury, but I have to have wireless headphones when I workout, and especially when I run. I have always hated the armbands and I can’t stand to have a wire dangling from my head while I’m active. I sweat… a lot… when I workout, so it took me a good bit of trial and error to find some that were truly sweatproof and didn’t succumb to water damage three weeks after getting them. My current favorites are the JLab JBuds Pro. They are seriously inexpensive and have withstood the sweat test valiantly! I think my favorite feature is the tiny clip they have to clip the wire to the back of your shirt. That way it’s not bouncing up and down as you’re moving.
- Dry erase marker: Yep. A $1 dry erase marker. Why you might ask? Because I use it to write my workouts on the mirror at our gym. This way I don’t have to keep interrupting my workout (and my flow) to check my phone for what move comes next. Everything is written right in front of me–the moves, number of reps, and number of sets– and it wipes right off at the end of my sweat session.
I know the thought of starting a workout routine can be daunting, but finding a few favorite things can make it a little more doable. And try giving yourself little rewards. For example, if you workout 6 days a week for 5 weeks in a row, you get a new pair of leggings. Or maybe a pedicure. Or heck, a Venti Starbucks. You know what motivates you. So put it to work and get your body moving.
PS– I’ve opened my very first round as a coach with the FASTer Way to Fat Loss®! (You can read my own story with the FWTFL here) I’ll be hosting LIVE Q&A on my Instagram on Saturday at 8:00pm EST. If you’ve been thinking about it, and are ready to join me, you can sign up here. If you still have questions, I’ll see you Saturday!